Diverse Dance (Age 8 & UP)
Diverse Dance is a unique class open to all dancers 4th grade and UP. Each month, students study and focus on a new movement style and work to build skills needed for more proficient and articulate dancing. The class is usually very large but dancers of all levels are encouraged to come together and learn, challenge themselves, and strive to work harder.
This past year, students in Diverse Dance took classes in Yoga, Pilates, African dance, Bhangra Indian dance, Hip Hop, Steppin’, Ballet, and Jazz. This class can NOT be taken on it’s own and it does NOT perform in our end-of-year recital. This class is meant to be a partner class with your regular weekly technique class: Dance I, II, III, or IV. Additionally, all dancers in Company 1 MUST enroll in this class unless special arrangements are made. This class is required for all Company I dancers.
Company 1 – is for any dancers in 6th Grade or older who want to dance an extra night at the studio. This class is an artistic process class focusing on developing skills for choreography, improv, and some technical skills. If you have never taken a company class, this is the class you should enroll in. Be aware, added fees for costumes, fundraising, and performances are required. A parent meeting will be head at the start of the year OR sooner to get all the information to you. This class is optional; however, all students enrolled in this class MUST also enroll in a movement class during the week and must take Diverse Dance on Thursdays to help build skills and ability.
Company 2 – dancers who reach a certain age and/or who show exceptional ability may be invited to join Company 2. Like Company 1, dancers in these classes meet another night of the week. This class is an advanced process class focusing on developing skills for choreography, improv, and some technical skills. The age for company has changed this year and we are no longer accepting new 6th grade dancers. Special consideration will be given to exceptional 6th graders who show advanced skills and an invitation MAY be offered to skip Junior company. Please contact the studio for placement.
In Company, dancers will...
- Dancers in Company 1 and 2 work with some of Utah’s best dance artists and choreographers. In the past we have worked with Nathan Shaw, Natosha Washington, Sarah Donohue, Amy Markgraff, Marilyn Berrett, Pat Debenham.
- Both performing groups will work with one guest choreographer.
- All dancers have the option of auditioning to be in a second guest choreographer’s work.
- The skills developed in class serve as a college-level course in choreography and dance creation. As such, all students in Company 1 and 2 are encouraged to choreograph. Our year-end show is usually 75% student crafted work with the rest being created by Company directors and guest choreographers.
- Company 1 & 2 regularly attend professional dance concerts to experience, first-hand, the power of dance as an art form.
- An over-night experience is usually planned as a team-building experience.
- Company 1 & 2 regularly attend the Utah Dance Festival and always showcase student works for adjudication.
- Company 1 & 2 are collaborative efforts with students taking as much of a production role as possible.
- While directed by Mr. Nick & Ms. Julie, students are involved in every stage of planning and implementation of performances and showcases so that they can develop skills necessary to produce their own work.
- Year-end performances take place at the Rose Wagner in downtown Salt Lake City, UT.
How do I register?
Use the tables below to access the online registration form. Once you fill the form out, select your classes, and input your information the enrollment will be sent to the studio. Please be aware there are several important disclaimers that you must agree to (the legalese) and you must input a credit/debit card or bank account info.
You are not required to pay via credit/debit card or bank account; however, we require this to make sure we have a method of payment on file in case we need to charge you account in a late/payment due situation. If you have issues or questions regarding this process, please get a hold of the studio.
Can we try a class first?
Absolutely! We’d love to offer you a FREE trial class to come and experience, first hand, the magic of what we do at South Valley Creative Dance.
Please use the table below and select “TRIAL” enrollment on the form. This will let the studio know that you are interested in learning more but not enrolling for the full semester/year just yet. If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to the studio.
What fees do you charge?
Monthly tuition rates are found in the class table below. In addition to tuition, we ask all families to pay a one-time $60 costume and production fee per student in the spring. This covers the cost of costuming ($30) and producing ($30) our show. Using the costume fee, the studio will purchase a leotard that your dancer will wear for the performance AND that you can keep afterwards. Using the production fee, the studio will pay for a videographer to shoot and record the show and will provide a digital download to you.
Do I need to enroll for the whole year?
We highly suggest that you enroll for the entire year – our Fall semester is spent in the studio dancing and building skills while our Spring is used to choreograph and prep for an end-of-year recital. We don’t want anyone to miss out on enjoying and being a part of our amazing production.
If you can only enroll for part of the year, we recommend dropping from classes at the Winter/Holiday break. Please see below for more information about our withdrawal policy.
What if we change our minds?
Every effort is made to make sure you love your dance class and want to keep coming – not only all year but for years to come! If you have issues with the studio or teacher, please feel free to bring them to the attention of the studio owner – we will make every effort to make a place for you at this studio.
If, however, you must leave classes we require a 30 written (email is fine) notice of your withdrawal after which time no more tuition will be due. This policy is strictly followed and will be enforced – it’s also a part of the legalese when you register – so you’ll see it again as a reminder!
Diverse Dance builds new skills!
Diverse Dance is a wonderful way to build the skills your dancer will need moving forward. Without pressure or a huge number of extra hours at the studio, dancers can learn the basics of many dance styles. It is meant to be taken in tandem with another technique class at the studio (Dance I, II, III, or IV). Please contact the studio with questions.
Tuition shown in the table below is charged monthly.